I've been asking myself a question for several months. Just what is a blog? No one seems to have an answer that tells me what it really is or is supposed to be. So as I sit with this computer beside my window in Phoenix, I'm still wondering. Maybe what I should ask is: Is this for me or for those who read it? Is this a place to bear my heart and soul? Or a place to talk to whoever happens to read this? Am I supposed to be entertaining? Or do I just go with a stream of consciousness and hope that I hit on something that has meaning somehow or someway?
It is always good to be funny. In fact, I believe that being funny ranks really high on most people's list of character traits they look for in friends and relationships. I have always said that our family is not funny. My daughter Katie doesn't like that I don't think we're funny. But I'm just being honest. I know some really funny people. And we can't compare to them. Now, don't get me wrong - we have lots of laughs and fun. And now that Tom is part of the family, our funny quotient has definitely gone up hugely. He is purely funny! Maybe it is enough to recognize funny when you see/hear it. I hope so. I've heard that laughing and smiling is actually physically good for you. Endorphins, etc. I can't remember all of the benefits. I know for sure that laughing is one of the only antidotes to the sadness of this world. So, I think that it is my new goal to laugh more each day and to smile a lot, even when I'm alone. So if you see me smiling a lot (which you won't because I'm in AZ), I haven't turned daft (or "funny" as Celestine Sibley would say).
I'll be laughing and smiling a lot in two weeks when our family converges in Birmingham to celebrate Erin's graduation from Samford University. It will be the first time that we have all been together since last Christmas (Jessye my niece and her daughter will be there). I used to take being together for granted. Now each time is a gift. I can't wait to see them all and squeeze them and hear them laughing.
So all this, and what I really wanted to say is - I love and am so proud of Erin and the way she has allowed the LORD to mold her and grow her. She set herself a goal and she made it happen. Thank you LORD for your grace and goodness and provision. Good job Baby Girl! We are all blessed by you. Your hard, hard work will pay off on the 17th with that degree. And by the way - you are really funny!
Thursday, May 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
yay I'm funny! Charlie says I'm more quirky. I dont know. tomato tomahto.
I love my mommy! Can't wait to see you.
Erin IS funny, I was just thinking that. And I love her laugh. And Katie's laugh. And yours when you sort of lose your breath. Congrats on another Sutton graduation, your girls are so dang smart it's ridonkulous.
I think you're using the blog exactly what is intended for. It's a way for us to share pieces of ourselves. Mine is purely for entertainment, but that's a piece of me. I like to entertain. And I like to make people laugh. At least, I hope they laugh. It's better than passing gas, but even that can dredge up a grin, right? Especially babies.
Thanks for the mad props! If it weren't for non-funny people, though, no one would think anyone was funny. It reminds me of lyrics from an inspirational song about the habits of environmentally challenged individuals: "I got this stuff on my nose..." -tom
Very proud of Erin! Know the B'ham trip is making memories for you all.
Miss you. K
MAMA DEB! i found you! and i love you!
Post a Comment