Thursday, March 20, 2008

Finding beauty







When I realized that God wasn't kidding about moving us to the desert, I had to get serious about how this new season of our lives would work out. I'm fine with busyness. I really prefer it. It gives me a reason to get up in the morning, and a satisfied feeling of accomplishment when I can check something off my list. So moving worked to keep me in the state of busyness for most of the last two and a half months. I had lots of great help and company as I tried to combine acceptance of this "adventure" with the work of packing and leaving. Caroline can't be rivaled for her tender care of my feelings and my belongings. She kept me company and didn't make fun of the miles of bubble-wrap that I thought I needed to ensure the safety of my many precious belongings. She let me sob on her new desk and threw the best going away party that anyone has ever had. I could go on and on, but most of you have been the recipients of her love, so you know. I'm so glad that I grabbed ahold of you Caro those many years and tears ago.

So here I am now - three weeks into the adventure and practically settled in. Erin is here this week and we have been playing. The LORD is uncanny - awesome some might say. HE knows me so well - exactly what I need, exactly when I need it. Erin is what I need right now. She has amazing eyes for the beauty of creation. Through her eyes I'm becoming aware of the beauty of this wild west place. We've hiked and journeyed out of the city into the desert. The beauty is breath-taking. I love that she loves creation. I love to watch her jump beside a "jumping cactus". I love to laugh with her at her enjoyment of all that GOD has made.

I'm getting excited about learning about the cowboys and Indians who lived here before us. I have found myself visualizing myself among the pioneer women who came here on wagons and trains, leaving everyone they loved behind. They must have been terrified too. My daughters and son-in-love are the brave ones in the family. I'm so blessed by them and through them. They remind me that GOD knows what HE is doing. I'm so glad that HE brought them out here during our first weeks here. This Easter weekend we will celebrate with all of you our risen LORD. We'll be thinking of you while we watch the Son (sun) rise over the Grand Canyon on that day. Blessings from a pioneer/sojourner/fellow wanderer -



9 comments:

carolineb said...

Great post Debs!!! So glad you are finding beauty, Erin's eyes love beauty and are themselves very beautiful! I hope to one day be as fine as you think I am. Oh, and I still miss you.

Chip B said...

When I read this post, what hit me is that you and Leonard are setting an example for those of us who are in an earlier stage of life. They way you are working with God in this move to a place that is by far not "Marietta" is showing us how it happens, and how we can prepare ourselves to potentially work through moves in our own lives, even the unexpected ones.

It's obvious God is meeting you right where you need Him with the things you need. The photos of you and Erin are fun to see ... I need to be sure that Veda sees them on Erin's Facebook site so she can enjoy what will be the days to come with Leah.

Thanks for sharing your desert with us! We love and miss you guys!

h. said...

i love you debs. great post. and i love the pics.. it does look beautiful! i want to come explore the wild west creation.. and Easter sunrise at the Grand Canyon, are you kidding me?? beauty!

i like the thought of you as a pioneer woman. if there's one thing i know about pioneer women, it's that they can cook biscuits in dutch ovens.

Sutton said...

momma makes the best biscuits.

Amy said...

I miss you more than ever! This post totally makes me want to pack up and get out there with my boys. There is certainly something to be said about the creation of our Lord that we can't see inside the cluttered city. I know you will take great advantage of it! Today, Dixie is here and said to the boys, "how do you feel about Mama Debbie moving to Arizona?" E said: "It takes a really long time to drive there and there are just too many miles coming back" love you -

Kelly Davis said...

Cool Pictures! The west will always remind me of Mom, because we took that trip at the end of the summer after she passed...It is the most beautiful place in America! Misty and I miss you, and can't wait to see you at Keith's Wedding.

The Adairs said...

wow, you are such a good writer! i wonder what i'd be like if it weren't for you and caroline..... it wouldn't be good.

Sutton said...

mommeeeeee! I like it when you write. But you haven't in over a month and I'm sure everyone else is with me when I say "please write some more, Momma!"

I love love love you!

AtlantaMama said...

beautiful