Monday, March 3, 2008

San Xavier and my Mom


One thing that I know for sure about God is that He is never random in the way He writes our stories. When my Mom was two years old, her Mother died. Her family lived in Greenville Mississippi. Her Dad was an attorney, and she had two older brothers and a sister who was five at the time. When her mom died, Mom was sent to live with her father's sister and her husband. Daddy Phil (the uncle) worked for the U.S. Indian service on a Papago Indian reservation about 10 miles outside Tucson. The reservation is still there. It is called San Xavier and the beautiful mission church is pictured. Their house was across the road from the church. For ten years of her childhood, Mom lived on this remote arid land in the middle of the Sonoran desert and went to school with Indian children at the first public school in Arizona. The school was in the courtyard of the church (to the right of the tower). Mom always called this place on earth and in her past "God's country".


We have just arrived here in this new land. Last Saturday we took our daughter and son-in-law down to Tucson to visit this place that was so significant to my Mom. I know that she remembered it as a place of peace and wonderful memories of her childhood. I'm asking God to give me her eyes for where He has put us. Of all the places He could have taken us, it can't be random that He brought us here.

10 comments:

Ruth Allen Bryant said...

Love and miss you already. I'm so proud of you for blogging.

Amy said...

That is totally amazing. You're right - God is never random! Can't wait to hear the 'rest of the story' - all that He reveals to you while you are out there...until you come back home. Love you much!

carolineb said...

So very amazing, wonder what it all means. Love you miss you.

Sutton said...

Hey mommy... I miss you so much. I'm glad you're blogging. These next two weeks better go by fast because I want to come out there right now.

amy griffith said...

hey debbie! i miss you and i live in costa rica! maybe you should come to costa rica!

love ya!
amy

h. said...

Um, that looks beautiful and fascinating. The True Boo is many things... but not random. Love you Debs. I need your address. h.

Gary said...

Hey Deb...it's Gar...see I tried the blog thing...great story about Ms. Dorothy....whew! Bex said y'all are "doing" Easter at the Grand Canyon...quite an adventure...we love y'all and can't wait to see you..God Bless.

gar

Chip B said...

Debbie ... summer camp planning is already underway and it's awful knowing you won't be there to chastise us for our discussions, trash bad newsletter submissions from the note box, and then start up odd conversations of your own. And at 2 a.m. of course. We tend to appreciate what we HAD when we know it's going to be different. I hope you knew that you were appreciated! Keep up the good blogging work, so you don't get blogstipated like I did. (See my last entry from 3/13). Should make you smile.

Writeaway said...

You are still bringing joy to your mama. She is part of the great cloud of witnesses now and she is so excited to "witness" your San Xavier trip! Very cool.

Love you and miss you!

Kelly Davis said...

Debbie...I love that picture, Misty doesn't have a blog, so this is from both of us. We cannot tell you how much you have influenced our "newly-wed" years. We love you and Leonard, and are truly praying for you. I know it is hard for you to be away from your kids and friends and church, but i know God is in control...Keep up the postings.